Tuesday, 16 April 2013

Effects on learning and development


I now wish to extend on my current knowledge about the effects child neglect has on infants, toddlers and young children’s learning and development. I have previously learnt that during a child’s first few years of life they learn and develop more than they will at any other stage of their life. Ch1ldren now (2013) support this by explaining that 85% of children’s core brain structure is developed by the age of four. This providing the “foundation for children’s future health, academic success, and social and emotional well-being” (papa. 1).

Child neglect can have devastating effects on the intellectual, physical, social, and psychological development of young children (Department of Health and Human Services & Gaudin, 1993, para. 1).Not only do they suffer immediate but sadly often long term consequences also. It is difficult to identify exactly what these consequences are as every type of neglect has their own list that would vary considerably.
 
To provide a few examples of this, two common types of child neglect will now be examined regarding their long and short term consequences. The topics I am going to focus on include inadequate food supply and lack of emotional nurturing. Parents or caregivers that do not provide children with enough food or the necessary nutrients they need are damaging their health (Mack, 2011). I believe proper nutrients fuel the body. Food and sufficient nutrients gives children the energy they need in order to live and play. Research has proven that the development of children’s bones and muscles reduce to a slower speed when they are neglected from food which causes them to be weaker, shorter and more frail than they could have been otherwise (Park, 2010). In extreme cases, malnutrition can lead to disease or death. I found it interesting yet disgusting to discover that one hundred and forty six million children under the age of five in the developing world are suffering from insufficient food intake, repeated infectious diseases, muscle wastage and vitamin deficiencies (Mack, 2011).

I believe every child should have the opportunity to form a close relationship with someone in which they can constantly rely on. Brownlee (2008) talks about the importance of close relationships, she explains that the first relationship an infant usually forms is naturally with their mother. “From the safety and love of this first partnership the baby will move out to make relationships” (p. 17) with extended whanāu such as dad, siblings and grandparents for example.

Perry (2013) explains that forming and maintaining secure relationships is the most important property of being human. “Relationships are absolutely necessary for any of us to survive, learn, work, love, and procreate” (Perry, 2013, para. 1). People that don’t have secure relationships from a young age struggle with communicating and socialising as they become older. Therefore they will find it difficult to get jobs and often have a phobia of entering relationships themselves. I found it sad to investigate that more often than not children that were neglected become adults that neglect their own children (Morgan, 2011). This causing a vicious circle of neglect through generations.

The most important organ within the human body is our brain. I believe everything we do is controlled by our brain and everything that happens effects our brain. According to DePanfilis (2006) child neglect has been associated with a failure of the brain to form properly which can lead to impaired physical, mental and emotional development (para. 1).

I found it interesting to discover that a child who is neglected has approximately a twenty to thirty percent smaller brain than a normal child (“Environment,” 2011).
 
 
In conclusion different ideas have been discussed regarding the effects neglect can have on children’s learning and development. Within my next blog I will take a look at appropriate policies and legislation related to both the government and to early childhood education settings.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment